We have been advised by NSW Fair Trading that a scam email is being circulated that requests agents to logon to a hoax website and update information for a property managed by their agency.
Please follow this advice to be sure you are always dealing with Fair Trading:
- The website address for Rental Bonds Online is: https://rbo.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/agent
- Emails from Rental Bonds Online are sent from: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Always check that any reference number is legitimate and matches a bond number held by your agency
- Stop and think when receiving an email or accessing a link or website that looks suspicious. If you are concerned about an email or text message’s authenticity, stop and contact 1800 990 724 for assistance.
- All customers should keep their browser, operating system, anti virus and firewall software up to date.
If you have, or even believe you may have inadvertently responded or activated any link or attachment within a scam email, please contact Fair Trading’s Rental Bonds Online Security and Support Team on 1800 990 724.
Further information about online scams is available at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s Scamwatch website https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/